Disney-Pixar’s animated ‘Lightyear‘ has done far worse than expected since the film premiered June 17. The origin story of “Toy Story” character Buzz Lightyear, landed in sixth place at the box office with only $6.5 million over the Fourth of July weekend.
Lightyear’s underwhelming box office is due in part to poor viewer reviews and controversy over a same-sex kiss that resulted in many people refusing to support the film and it being banned in no less than 14 Middle Eastern and Asian countries.
“Minions: The Rise of Gru,” a sequel to the 2015 animated hit from Universal Pictures, topped the North American box office with $108.5 million in its opening weekend across 4,391 domestic theaters.
‘Minions’ far exceeded the Box office forecast of around $89 million for the three-day weekend. The studio had estimated it would make $60 million over four days, including the Fourth of July holiday.
This Weekend’s complete top 10 list:
- Minions: The Rise of Gru – $108.5 million
- Top Gun: Maverick – $25.5 million
- Elvis – $19 million
- Jurassic World Dominion – $15.6 million
- The Black Phone – $12.3 million
- Lightyear – $6.5 million
- Mr. Malcolm’s List – $851K
- Everything Everywhere All at Once – $551K
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness – $390K
- Jugjugg Jeeyo – $320K