When cruising around the World Showcase in Epcot lookout for the Bier und Brezlen cart usually parked right outside the Germany Pavillion. No offense to the Mickey pretzel but this is the best pretzel in all of Walt Disney World.
A hand twisted pretzel in Germany is in fact almost the perfect snack. It’s an authentic German pretzel so it has the dense, slightly chewy, and easily tear-able texture with just the right amount of salt. Plus it goes great with an ice cold beer.
Try it at home!
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Coarse Salt for the topping
- Add yeast to a bowl of warm water and stir to dissolve.
- Add in Salt, Sugar, and Flour. Beat the mixture until smooth.
- Add in Flour little by little and just enough to make the dough easy to handle.
- Flour a surface and kneed the dough until it is smooth and elastic. This typically takes about 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 3 oz piece and roll in a ball.
- Put the dough aside for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into strings and create pretzel shapes.
- Place the pretzel on a baking sheet and let dough rest until it is twice it’s size.
- Sprinkle the dough with coarse salt and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.